Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sweet Valentine

Finally, my last night of work this week and what a week it has been I deserve the next two days off. Almost finished my tour of duty on what has proven to be a pretty uneventful and somewhat unproductive night. OIC again, already sent the other car downtown to process and submit. Thinking it is about time for us to follow suit.

One last stroll through our Zone, I still cannot believe how bad the roads still are from the back to back blizzards we had. Some of the roads have yet to have been touched. The road I am currently on has proven to be my arch nemesis during this whole escapade, secretly determined to travel on this road one day this week without falling victim to its snow covered clutches – I begin my voyage headed westbound.

Now, I’m not sure how familiar you are with driving on the snow covered roadways, especially those that have tracks in them from other vehicles (mostly the humvees from earlier in the week) and also in these tracks are divots and such from where other vehicles had gotten themselves stuck and then spun the heck out of their tires trying to get out. And when you drive on these wonderful roadways, you need to maintain your speed so as to not follow suit and get stuck in these same spots and/or be forced or slide off track into unchartered territory.

As I travel along, I observe a man walking in the roadway several yards ahead of me. I beep the horn as I have done all day long so that he can move off to the side of the road and allow my vehicle to pass by him.

Nope…no such luck!


Instead of moving out of the way, he turns and stands firmly. Unable to go around him due to the abundance of snow on the roadways, I am forced to stop my vehicle. As I come to a complete stop, I feel first and then take notice of the man who is now glaring at me through my windshield. His eyes are glazed and he’s looking, well, just not all there…GREAT!

I beep the horn again and tell him to get out of the road, motioning to the side of the road with my hand. He is saying something; he is completely incoherent I don’t understand a word of it. I put the car in park and start to open the door. He takes several steps over and places himself directly in front of my side of the car removing something from his pocket in the process. Shit, what does he have in his hand? He has something in his hand. I step out of the vehicle, he makes a motion with his hand again, he has a knife and just opened it. He pulls it back into a striking position and starts saying what are you gonna do now. [Hmmm…I have a few ideas] My side partner doesn’t see it; I yell again, still nothing he’s still moving towards him, I withdraw, he is startled by my partner, he never say him, he pulls the knife back again, I come to sights and yell again (note to self: buy new batteries for hearing aid) I think they both get startled, each for their own reasons, suspect is disarmed. Later he informs me that he never saw my partner that he was angry and fighting with his wife (who was walking on the sidewalk), after momentarily crying he decided that he was wrong, but I was wrong too? That for a woman, I had a really foul mouth for talking to a man? He was glad that he had his knife and that I obviously didn’t know who he was. He then proceeded to memorize my face for the next time and then asked me if I was really going to lock him up on Valentine’s Day? Absolutely Sir!

So much for getting off on time tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment